Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blog11: CATW practice 2

        In "The Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room", Jeneen Interlandi explains that there is no place in hospitals for the mentally ill.  She presents the outrageous circumstances of Esmin Green's death, a disable, which she pointed out as unsurprising since most mental hospitals are closed.  Jensen supports that we should have a place in the society for disables.

         In the passage, I support the idea "Rather than lock them away in the cold, uncarring instutions, the thinking went, the mentally ill should be offered a place in society." because in psychiatric hospitals they often treat disables as people with no will instead of helping them get back on the right track.  I believe that keeping people in rooms with their legs and hands tied up, with no windows on the walls and a poor diet filled with pills can't help anybody feels better, but it will rather make them act crazier; this is the atmosphere in which most disables are kept.  For instance, last year, I visited a friend of mine in an hospital.  He wasn't in a mentally ill condition, but as I was walking to his room I stepped in a room filled with people that are mentally ill.  I wondered why they were kept in a room by themselves because I believe that if we want someone to well behave he should interact with people who behave correctly.  So why do they keep them by themselves.

        I also believe that people that are mentally should be offered a place in society because they may recover their sences if they are not kept motionless in rooms.  It feels good to see a disable well behave after his madness.  I experienced myself living with someone mentally ill.  It's really not an easy task to take care of them, but when they feel better it makes you happy.  My oncle, who was mentally ill  used to live in our house in Africa.  My parents refused to send him in an hospital because they believed that in an hospital he would be mistreated.  It was hard to take care of him, but when he started feeling better we were all happy.  Unfortunately, he died last year. I believe that if he was in an hospital, he would have died earlier.

        As Jeneen Interlandi presents, the places aimed for the mentally ill are drastically dimished, but we should strive to find them a place to be in the society.           

No comments:

Post a Comment